Planning & Zoning Commission
Pursuant to Kenai Municipal Code, the Planning and Zoning Commission shall perform the following duties:
- Review and act upon requests for variance permits, conditional use permits, planned unit residential development permits, and other matters requiring consideration under the Kenai Zoning Code.
- Interpret the provisions of the Kenai Zoning Code and make determinations when requested by the Administrative Official.
- Review the City of Kenai Comprehensive Plan on an annual basis and conduct a minimum of one public hearing. Said recommendations shall be forwarded to the Council for consideration.
- Promote public interest and understanding of comprehensive planning, platting, zoning, land management, and other issues relating to community planning and development.
- Proposed plans for the rehabilitation or redevelopment of any area or district within the City.
- Perform historic preservation reviews and duties as set forth in KMC 14.20.105.
Further, the Planning and Zoning Commission shall act in an advisory capacity to the Kenai City Council regarding the following matters:
- Kenai Zoning Code and Official City of Kenai Zoning Map amendments.
- City and airport land lease or sale petitions.
- Capital Improvements Programming. The Commission shall submit annually to the Council a list of recommended capital improvements which, in the opinion of the Commission, are necessary and desirable to be constructed during the forthcoming three (3) year period. Such list shall be arranged in order of preference, with recommendations as to which projects shall be constructed in which year.
Finally, the Planning and Zoning Commission shall act in an advisory capacity to the Kenai Peninsula Borough Planning Commission regarding the following matters:
- Subdivision plat proposals.
- Right-of-way and easement vacation petitions.
- City of Kenai Comprehensive Plan amendments.
Helpful Links & Documents
- Planning and Zoning Department
- Commission Member List (pdf)
- Scheduled Public Comment Request Form (pdf)